Augsburg vs. Schalke: probable line-ups, match stats and LIVE blog!
Goals: 1-0 Gregoritsch (13’), 1-1 (Caligiuri 53’)
Augsburg dominated the early proceedings with Gregoritsch in the thick of all the chances on goal created, and it was the Austrian who made the most of their early pressure to hand Augsburg the lead. A cross swung in from Philipp Max could only be punched into the air by Ralf Fährmann in the Schalke goal, and Greogritsch was on hand to head it home. The home side maintained their control of the game, but no major chances followed before the half-time whistle blew.
Schalke made two changes at the break and Domenico Tedesco’s tactical move had the desired effect. A ball into the box was cleared out but only as far as Caligiuri, who hit a perfect volley across goal from 20 yards into the bottom corner. The game was end-to-end and either side could have taken all three points, although clear-cut chances were hard to come by. A moment in history almost came for young American Haji Wright, who tapped home thinking he had given Schalke the lead, but the striker was offside when he scored. In the end, neither side did enough to get the win.
- Gregoritsch’s opener was Augsburg’s 300th goal in the Bundesliga.
- Baum picked up his first point in four attempts against Schalke as coach.
- Andre Hahn and Marco Richter join Max as Augsburg’s leading assist providers this season with three each. Max led the way for the club in that regard last term (12).
- Weston McKennie has one goal in 11 Bundesliga appearances in 2018/19.
- The Royal Blues have been awarded a league-leading five penalties this term. Nabil Bentaleb has converted all three he has taken, while Caligiuri has scored and one missed one.
- Augsburg are winless in their last six meetings with Schalke.
Augsburg: Luthe – Schmid, Gouweleeuw, Hinteregger, Max – Khedira, Baier (c) (Caiuby 46’) – Koo, Gregoritsch, Richter (Hahn 72’) – Finnbogason (Cordova 85’)
Unused subs: Giefer, Ji, Framberger, Danso
Out: Jakob (knee), Götze (concussion), Moravek (calf)
Coach: Manuel Baum
Schalke: Fährmann (c) – Stambouli, Naldo, Sane – Caligiuri, Rudy (Bentaleb 46’), Serdar, Oczipka – Harit – Skrzybski (Wright 46’), Teuchert (Kutucu 66’)
Unused subs: Nübel, McKennie, Mascarell, Schöpf
Out: Embolo (foot), Nastasic (suspended), Mendyl (ankle), Di Santo (knee), Konoplyanka (knee), Uth (hamstring)
Coach: Domenico Tedesco
As it happened!